Re: [Openvpn-users] Distributing OpenVPN to stupid users

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] Distributing OpenVPN to stupid users
  • From: Moritz Bunkus <m.bunkus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2005 10:05:15 +0100

Hey,

On Thursday 22 December 2005 18:11, Cameron Gocke wrote:

> Hey guys, I'm really just looking for any input on good ways to roll
> the client out to my Windows based users.  Right now I am building an
> individual self extracting installer for each client that includes
> their unique certificates.

The OpenVPN GUI installer is NSIS based. I'm using NSIS for one of my
own OpneSource projects, too, and I'm even building the Windows
installer on Linux by running makensis.exe under Wine. It doesn't even
require X in my setup. So there's definitely a possibility to create a
full stand-alone installer automatically without any user intervention,
and if you add some scripting around it then you can even do this from
e.g. a web frontend or whatever certificate management solution you're
using at the moment.

If you want more details on this solution just ask. I'll be happy to
give you pointers on my Wine setup. If you're running on Windows then it
might be even easier -- no need for Wine ;) Just run makensis.exe with
the name of the .nsi file and you're done. If you need some more potent
scripting solution on Windows than cmd.exe then I suggest you either
get a scripting language like Perl or Ruby or you get the usual Unix
tools for Windows from the cygwin project.

Regards,
Mosu

--
LINET Services GbR

Gotenweg 15                      Tel.: 0531-280 191 71
38106 Braunschweig               Fax.: 0531-280 191 72

http://www.linet-services.de
mailto:info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx