[Openvpn-users] Creating a TUN device

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] Creating a TUN device
  • From: Etienne Pretorius <etiennep@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2005 12:44:07 +0200

Hi all,

I am interested to know how to go about in debian Sarge to create a TUN device.
You see I need the Interface to be created an then use OpenVPN to attach itself to the device.

Background Information:
I have a vserver (http://linux-vserver.org) setup. My base server is able to create interfaces and make them available to the vserver.
I need to have OpenVPN running in a vserver and it is a known issue with the vserver community that the OpenVPN daemon
cannot bring up the required TUN/TAP interfaces within the vserver. I am reasoning that if I have the interface available on the
base server and give access to the vserver to use this interface then the OpenVPN daemon will use the interface.
The problem arises that I need to create a TUN interface on the base server compatible with OpenVPN and make it available
to the associated vserver. Like I said before, making the interface availible to the vserver is easy - but creating the interface is where
I am stuck. I have looked into vtun... but I just can't seem to get the interface listed.

--
Kind Regards
Etienne