Re: [Openvpn-users] Bridge problem

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] Bridge problem
  • From: "Daniel L. Miller" <dmiller@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 23:53:13 -0800

Mathias Sundman wrote:

On Sat, 19 Nov 2005, Daniel L. Miller wrote:

The Tap/Tun interface is the UNENCRYPTED, LAN-side connection - these interfaces are used for communication with the LAN, and not the Internet and/or VPN clients. So in the examples of a single NIC OpenVPN server, the encrypted communication takes place via the eth0. Where I was trying to use OpenVPN on my firewall, the encrypted connection would be through the external interface - therefore the internal interface gets the bridge for the unencrypted side. Did I get it?

Correct.

So with a non-firewall implementation, my firewall must re-direct OpenVPN packets to the internal OpenVPN server.

Correct.

After that, I can treat it as similar to any other firewalled service - where I simply need to allow outbound traffic on the firewall.

Not entirely correct. As you have already enabled port forwarding so your external OpenVPN clients can reach this OpenVPN server on the local network through the firewall (with the help of NAT:ing), you don't need to allow any outbound traffic on the firewall (other than the reply packets of a already established udp or tcp session, but as most firewalls are doing "stateful inspection" today, that will be taken care of automagically).

And as you're doing bridging the accual traffic carried over the VPN will never be seen by your firewall (other than as encrypted OpenVPN packets).

Many thanks. The simple statement that the TUN/TAP devices are used for the LAN-side unencrypted communications makes everything, if not crystal-clear, just mildly streaky :). This also helps me understand some of the problems I had in the past trying to get various xSwan/IPSec implementations to work.

--
Daniel - "If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer."