[Openvpn-users] newbe needs help setting up routes

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] newbe needs help setting up routes
  • From: "Mike Preston" <mbpatpas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 14:36:02 -0700

Well, I got your attention, anyway. :-)

Feel like taking a crack at my thread: "Some clients work, some
don't"?

Back to Arnold, I don't disagree that the 90.x.x.x address is a very,
very bad idea for a private server and I should have said that.  Point
taken.

We'll have to wait for Arnold to see whether he is attempting to
route or bridge.

I'm not sure I agree with you on the routing vs. bridging thing.  In
the case where two lans are being connected to operate
seemlessly as one, wouldn't bridging both ends be the easier way
to accomplish it?  I'm willing to change my setup any way you think
it should be changed, if it will save bandwidth but not lose
functionality.  My use of bridging was based on the line in the
HOWTO's that state it is necessary to use bridging if you intend to
use Windows browsing capability:

"I would recommend using routing unless you need a specific
feature which requires bridging, such as:

you would like to allow browsing of Windows file shares across the
VPN without setting up a Samba or WINS server."

from: http://openvpn.net/howto.html

In most cases where two windows lans are connected they will
want to browse file shares, I would think.

Can that be accomplished via the two subnets and the routing you
described?  If so, I'm willing to switch to it if given enough
information to do so.

Especially if it will help my connectivity issue! (Hint, hint)

Yes, I know that the config files I posted only showed bridging on
the server side.  Baby steps, baby steps, for me, anyway.  I figured
I'd get that working first and then move to bridging on both sides.
Unfortunately, I can't seem to get even that to work reliably.  Having
it work on 4 out of 6 computers isn't a particularly good batting
average.