[Openvpn-users] Re: All NICs are unusable after install of OpenVPN

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] Re: All NICs are unusable after install of OpenVPN
  • From: Roger Håkansson <hson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 14:44:17 +0200

James Yonan wrote:
>>Try moving the TAP adapter to the bottom on the binding list, as is
>>described in the FAQ and see if that fixes the problem.

I had aldready tried that without any change.

> While it's just conjecture on my part, it's possible that the registry
> entries which describe the network bindings are corrupted on this
> particular machine and the addition of a new adapter causes a binding
> loop.  When the system becomes sluggish, it would be instructive to check
> the CPU utilization to see which process is using it.
>
> It's not unusual for the registry entries which describe Winsock and the
> network binding configuration to become corrupted.  It's a common
> enough problem that someone has written a utility to fix it:
>
> http://openvpn.net/bin/WinsockFix.zip (this is just a mirror site --
> you might want to search the web to see if there's a newer version)

Ahh, that did it!
Now, everything works as it should.
Thanks

> Unix and derivatives, on the other hand, are driven by configuration files
> rather than a configuration DB like the registry.  The Unix kernel never
> writes to the configuration files, which means that in a worst case
> scenario, if internal kernel data structures are corrupted, a reboot takes
> you back to a known good state.

Well, thats not entirely true, some kernel modules in certan unixes also
have configuration files which might render the system unstable if you
have bad configuration data.

> Unix and derivatives made a great design choice.  The best way to avoid
> registry corruption is not to have one in the first place.

It doesn't really matter if you have a registry or a configuration file,
both can be corrupted or have wrong settings.