Re: [Openvpn-users] "Cannot read current default gateway from system" on one Win2K client

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] "Cannot read current default gateway from system" on one Win2K client
  • From: Klaus Thielking-Riechert <klaus.thielking-riechert@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 09:54:09 +0200

Dave,

>>Did you try to push a default-route instead?
>
> I've tried various combinations of route and route-gateway but none of
> them seem to have the desired effect. What sort of thing should I be
> looking for?

Using the directive 'push' (on the server) and 'pull' (on the client)
you are able to send routing-configuration commands to the client.

If you have 'pull' enabled on the client and the server has
configuration statements like

   push "route 1.1.1.1 255.255.255.0"

you can set a specific route used for the tunnel, eg. for the target
1.1.1.1/24.

An other example would be

   push "route 0.0.0.0 128.0.0.0"
   push "route 128.0.0.0 128.0.0.0"

which may superseed an existing default route 0.0.0.0/0 by those two
more specific entries. (But be careful: you must ensure that you have
always best-match route pointing to your OpenVPN server which doesn't
use your tunnel!).

Nevertheless: the shortest test would be to set a default manually on
your client to your OpenVPN tunnel. At least this should work to get the
client connected to the internet. If it does not, you may also have to
look at things like NAT oder DNS or Firewall.

Best regards,
	Klaus