Re: [Openvpn-users] OpenVPN and Proxy-ARP

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] OpenVPN and Proxy-ARP
  • From: /dev/rob0 <rob0@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 13:25:50 -0500

On Wednesday 2005-October-12 09:28, Joern Krebs wrote:
> (I "killed" the Screenshots, they are too long filled up with no
> information at all, so please just trust me:)
snip
> So, believe me: You have to enabled something, it isn't working like
> on linux.
snip
> Now I disabled Proxy-ARP again and tried your solution.

Sure, I believe you. I wouldn't have written all that if I had thought
you had already tried my suggestion. But that's okay, I think I learned
a bit more about ARP.

Chances are, the "something" to enable is a registry setting. That's
what I would guess anyway. Your --up script could merge a .reg file,
but only if you knew what setting!

> If you like to: Take a Windows PC and test it all of what I have send
> you in this mails. But the point ist proxy-arp in Linux is an
> automatic feature and in Windows it ist nearly not existing.

I don't think I would like that. :) I will stay where I am. Having
switched entirely away from Windows I see no benefit in going back.

> Do you now know the difference between a local ARP-Table and the
> special linux feature of "knowing" when to use proxy-arp automaticaly
> out of his arp-table and that this is a linux-feature not implemented
> in Windows?

I believe you, but no, I don't entirely understand the difference.

> I whould love it if I am wrong. And if you find an easier way of
> solving this arp-proxy problem for me. But I have no solution.

After all this I think I might have a useful suggestion after all!

Try searching the registry for strings like proxy and ARP.
    or "not-spam" is in Subject: header