Re: [Openvpn-users] Re: All NICs are unusable after install of OpenVPN

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] Re: All NICs are unusable after install of OpenVPN
  • From: James Yonan <jim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2005 15:20:04 -0600 (MDT)

On Fri, 7 Oct 2005, [ISO-8859-1] Roger Håkansson wrote:

> > Also, he didn't have that kind of utility/the utility didn't disable NICs.
> > But in his search of a solution to this problem he updated all drivers
> > and utilities and now he says that the wired-NIC gets disabled when he
> > unplugs the cable and the WiFi-NIC gets disabled when he plugs in a
> > TP-cable.
> > In his words "this didn't happen before I installed OpenVPN", but my
> > guess is that an update of this utility is responsible for that.
>
> Some more info on this.
> According to him, before he installed OpenVPN, when he unplugged the
> TP-cable the NIC got "Network cable unplugged" (as usual), but after
> install+uninstall of OpenVPN, the NIC now disappears both from
> ControlPanel->NetworkConnections and from DriverManager when he unplugs
> the TP-cable. And it reappears when he plugs it back in.
> And this was before he ran Windows Update and updated the WiFi-driver.
> And he doesn't have any utility that handles profiles (and
> disables/enables NICs depending on profile and link-speed, like IBMs
> Access Connections like I have on my laptop).

Try moving the TAP adapter to the bottom on the binding list, as is
described in the FAQ and see if that fixes the problem.

The process by which a new network adapter gets bound into the network
stack is a fairly complex process, and Windows does this all on it own --
it gives the driver itself very little control of this process.

***************

>From FAQ:

I installed OpenVPN on Windows, and now the TAP-Win32 adapter seems to
have become the default adapter for certain functions. How can I make my
Ethernet adapter the default again?

When a new network adapter is added, Windows tends to put it at the top of
its internal adapter list, making it the default for certain functions.

In many cases this is undesired -- unfortunately I'm not aware of any way
that the TAP-Win32 driver installer can programmatically override this
default.

Luckily, this can be fixed manually by going to Control Panel / Network
Connections / Advanced / Advanced Settings. In the top subwindow of the
dialog box, move the TAP-Win32 adapter down from the top position.

James