Re: [Openvpn-users] Client key exchange

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] Client key exchange
  • From: chosner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2005 23:28:27 -0400 (EDT)

Well, since I wrote that, I might as well answer this.

You have two different things you are doing.  First is authentication.
You want to prove that the entity on the other end of the tunnel is who
you think it is.  You use your client private key (and your server private
key) to make sure the client and the server are both who they claim to be.
This is the purpose of the client private key, authenticiation.

Second is key agreement.  After you're comfortable that you're speaking
with the correct entity, you want to embark on the key agreement or key
exchange steps.  This is where the master secret is created and the key
block built.  But you don't do this step until you've used the client
private key to validate identity.  Once identity is verified, this key
block is chopped up to create the symmetric keys and the hmac send and
recieve keys.

I can build you a graphic description of this if it would be helpful.
Please contact me off list as we'll be straying from OpenVPN specific and
moving towards general cryptography.

Charlie