[Openvpn-users] Re: All NICs are unusable after install of OpenVPN

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] Re: All NICs are unusable after install of OpenVPN
  • From: Roger Håkansson <hson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2005 17:36:40 +0200

Terry Dooher wrote:

> Wild conjecture time: Is it possible that some legitimate firewall or
> other security software has its hooks into XP's networking in such a way
> that the addition of the TAP adaptor causes it to break in some way,
> rendering the rest of your network devices inoperable, either by design
> (panic mode) or by fault?

He reinstalled the laptop (due to the fact that you can't get a laptop
with swedish keyboard but with english XP) when he got it a few months
ago using a Windows XP SP2-DVD plus updates from Windows Update and he
hasn't installed any dodgy firewalls or other security software(except
Cisco's VPN 3000 software if you count that as "security software).

Another of my users has a HP nc6220 which seem to have the same hardware
NICs and he has no problem with OpenVPN.

I've asked him to try to uninstall the Cisco software and then try to
install OpenVPN, but I'm not sure that will do the trick since most of
us have both on our laptops (except the guy with the nc6220) and
desktops and there have been zero problems during the nine months we
have used OpenVPN.

> With OpenVPN installed, try just removing the TAP adaptor, so we can see
> if the it's the driver or the software causing this.

He says he can't do that, then the laptop totally hangs and he has to
reboot in safe mode and remove OpenVPN to be able to boot normally.
Just disabling the "TAP-NIC" doesn't work either, nothing happens when
he selects the "TAP-NIC"->(right-click)->Disable, not even after a reboot.