Re: [Openvpn-users] Routing Hell

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] Routing Hell
  • From: /dev/rob0 <rob0@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 17:52:44 -0500

On Wednesday 21 September 2005 17:11, Kevin wrote:
> I've been working on getting OpenVPN working one and off all summer
> for the school district I work for.  We need to link small off campus
> sites (to expensive or short term leases to run fiber) back to our
> main lan via cable modem links so we can route them through our
> content filter.
>
> So the goal here is to route all traffic of the offsite lan through
> our main gatway.

Ouch! I say, that hurts. ALL traffic through the main gateway? Has the
idea of digging out some old computers to deploy as per-site content
filters been considered? A modest old machine (P-II class) might
suffice. Surely a P-III, too weak to look good with today's MS OS'es,
would be more than adequate.

> Throughout learning openvpn, and trying to get it set up, routing has
> been the most difficult.  I had everything working at one point using
> static routing which won't work when we add multiple offsites.

Why not? I have multiple sites connected through static routes. Some
even are multiple VPN hops away.
    or "not-spam" is in Subject: header