Re: [Openvpn-users] Re: Tray Showing for OpenVPN GUI Problem

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] Re: Tray Showing for OpenVPN GUI Problem
  • From: Mathias Sundman <mathias@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2005 10:37:57 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 7 Sep 2005, Erich Titl wrote:

Lonnie Cumberland wrote:

If OpenVPN GUI is active then it shows in the tray as an icon image and
the user can "right-click" to connect and disconnect without any problems.
The problem I am getting is that if the computer is re-booted then the
tray icon image no longer shows but if I try to start OpenVPN GUI then
it says that there is already an instance running and still will not
show the image icon.

We ran into the same problem yesterday night, pulling our hair for hours. It finally boiled down to driver incompatibility on XP, e.g. we upgraded wireless drivers on XP with the latest from the manufacturer website. Also other problems showed up, like not registering a decent default gateway. So watch out on XP and for network cards only use the drivers that come bundled with it.

It's been reported by a few people on the OpenVPN GUI forum that the tray icon is not beeing showed although the openvpn-gui process is running.

I've not been able to reproduce the problem, so I havn't been able to troubleshot it. However, yesterday I compiled a debug (*) version of OpenVPN GUI 1.0.3 that will output a log file (c:\openvpngui_debug.txt) that shows the result of the win32 API calls used to registre the tray icon. If one of these calls fails for you, we at least have somewhere to start digging.

There was a problem in previous versions of OpenVPN GUI that cause the icon to disappear if explorer.exe crashed. This was because all tray icon applications must re-register the icon after an explorer restart. I've fixed this, but it might be a similar problem that you're experiencing.

Please try the debug version and let me know the output of the log file if the icon disappears.

Erich, are you saying that the OpenVPN GUI icon was never showed on your system, but after upgrading the Wifi drivers it start showing up?

Were there any other application tray icons that behaved similar?

If you go to the task manager and kills the explorer process and then starts a new explorer process, is the GUI icon restored then?

And one final note, it's not as simple as the settings for the tray is misconfigured so the OpenVPN GUI icon is set to "Always hide"?

(*) http://openvpn.se/files/binary/openvpn-gui-1.0.3-debug.exe