[Openvpn-users] Re: OpenVPN newbie question - 2 LAN

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] Re: OpenVPN newbie question - 2 LAN
  • From: Maurice van der Pot <griffon26@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 23:26:08 +0200

I am looking for the same solution as Jojo Wan. (I couldn't properly
reply to his message because I only just subscribed to the list).

I've been reading a lot of documentation on bridging and OpenVPN these
past few days, but I don't see how to configure things the way I would
like. I will explain my situation and the problems I see, because there
is probably some misunderstanding on my part that any of you would be
able to spot.

We (a friend of mine and I) each have a LAN that we would like to
connect to eachother over the internet as if it were connected directly.
I configured my linux gateway for bridging and set the IP address of the
bridge interface to the address that was previously used for my internal
ethernet interface. I also added my ethernet interface to the bridge.

Now here is where it becomes unclear. I can configure OpenVPN to be a
server and from the manpage I gather I have to use either
--server-bridge or just --mode server. The first one seems to imply that
I get clients connecting from the internet, who each need an address on
my LAN. This is not applicable in what I am trying to accomplish, right?
So I should go for --mode server then.

If I'm going this way, I'll need to pass --tls-server as well and
generate certificates. Before I do this I would like to know if this is
going in the right direction. (I'd prefer a simple shared secret).

If this is the way to go, would I only have to add tap0 on client and
server to the bridge interface as slaves and should it then work?

Thanks,
Maurice.

--
Maurice van der Pot