Re: [Openvpn-users] one-server multi-client setup issues

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] one-server multi-client setup issues
  • From: Erich Titl <erich.titl@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 20:10:02 +0200

Richard Pickett wrote:
OK, since I'm not going to bridge windows I've ran into another problem.

If anyone has a working example of tying several networks together and
wouldn't mind emailing me their conf files, I'd appreciate it.

I've got 4 distributed networks I'm tying together:

192.168.9.0/24
192.168.10.0/24
192.168.11.0/24
192.168.12.0/24

These are each connected to the internet via a linux server.

I'd like to run openvpn as a server on the 12.0 server, and have the
other three connect as clients. A perfect setup for openvpn, or so I
thought.

Just connecting 1 client to the server doesn't work right. It appears
that the vpn net has to be something other than the four listed above,
so I have 192.168.13.0/24 for each of the vpn nodes.

Indeed this is so. Consider those vpn networks like transport networks in a simple network routing.

If you want all client networks to see the central network you will have to push the route to 192.168.12.0 to all clients using

# Push routes to the client to allow it
# to reach other private subnets behind
# the server.  Remember that these
# private subnets will also need
# to know to route the OpenVPN client
# address pool (10.8.0.0/255.255.255.0)
# back to the OpenVPN server.
push "route 192.168.12.0 255.255.255.0"

Now if you want to have all clients to see each other you need

# Uncomment this directive to allow different
# clients to be able to "see" each other.
# By default, clients will only see the server.
# To force clients to only see the server, you
# will also need to appropriately firewall the
# server's TUN/TAP interface.
client-to-client

In the end it boils down to "don't try to be fancy, just read the configuration samples and the extremely well written docs"

cheers

Erich

Erich