[Openvpn-users] Strange throughput-problem

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] Strange throughput-problem
  • From: Fridtjof Busse <fbusse@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 08:26:42 +0200

Hi
I'm running OpenVPN-2.0 on OpenBSD, which worked fine for me for two
months.
Now I replaced the Realtek-NICs in the router with one Quad-NIC (D-Link
DFE-580TX) since I was running out of PCI-slots.
Now one really strange problem arised: The throughput to the
internet over the VPN dropped to 1/100 of what if was before.
The VPN is "running" on a WLAN-PCI (Prism2), the SDSL-modem is connected
to the first port on the quad-PCI and the LAN is connected to the
second one.
If I bring up the VPN-tunnel and transfer files from the LAN, I get the
full speed of the link. If I now transfer files from the internet, I
get 1/100 of the speed of the internet-link (used to be ~120kB, now
it's 1-2kB). First I thought this was an interface problem, but if I
don't use VPN, I get full speed to the internet again (over the WLAN).
And now the really strange part: If I repower the SDSL-modem, I get
full speed over the VPN to the internet as well. As soon as I reboot
the router, the situation is back and I have to repower the modem to
get full speed.
I really have *no* idea where to look for the problem, so I'd be really
thankful for any clues.

--
Fridtjof Busse