[Openvpn-users] OpenVPN, XP, and Performance

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] OpenVPN, XP, and Performance
  • From: Misty Stanley-Jones <misty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 09:24:19 -0500

Hi all,

I have an OpenVPN 2.0 VPN set up as a gateway between two DSL networks and
also used for one "road warrior" running Windows XP and a cable modem.

The DSL-to-DSL (also Linux-to-Linux) setups work absolutely wonderfully.

My Windows user hoever has extremely bad performance.  He is able to log into
the Samba domain but it takes him >5 minutes to open an application from the
file server.

I followed
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;311218&Product=winxp
to change the binding order of the interfaces on the XP system and did get
some performance gain (before I did this, trying to open the executable was
just causing time-outs).  Following are the config files for the server, the
Linux clients, and the XP client.  Please let me know what else I can do to
improve performance!

server.conf
------------------------
port 1194
proto udp
dev tun
ca /usr/local/openvpn/etc/ca.crt
cert /usr/local/openvpn/etc/server.crt
key /usr/local/openvpn/etc/server.key  # This file should be kept secret
dh /usr/local/openvpn/etc/dh1024.pem
tls-auth /usr/local/openvpn/etc/ta.key 0
server 192.168.100.0 255.255.255.0
ifconfig-pool-persist ipp.txt
# Corp
push "route 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0"
# Furn
push "route 192.168.2.0 255.255.255.0"
# Dutch
push "route 192.168.4.0 255.255.255.0"
client-config-dir /usr/local/openvpn/etc/ccd
route 192.168.4.0 255.255.255.0
route 192.168.5.0 255.255.255.0
push "dhcp-option WINS 192.168.1.101"
push "dhcp-options DNS 192.168.1.101"
client-to-client
keepalive 10 120
comp-lzo
max-clients 5
user nobody
group nobody
persist-key
persist-tun
status openvpn-status.log
verb 4

Linux Client (works well)
------------------------------
client
dev tun
proto udp
remote x.x.x.x 1194
resolv-retry infinite
user nobody
group nobody
persist-key
persist-tun
ca /usr/local/openvpn/etc/ca.crt
cert /usr/local/openvpn/etc/dutchsrv.dutch.crt
key /usr/local/openvpn/etc/dutchsrv.dutch.key
tls-auth /usr/local/openvpn/etc/ta.key 1
comp-lzo
verb 4

XP Client (very bad performance)
---------------------------------