Re: [Openvpn-users] push route error: openvpn ROUTE: openvpn needs a paramter....

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] push route error: openvpn ROUTE: openvpn needs a paramter....
  • From: James Yonan <jim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 11:45:02 -0600 (MDT)

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005, longint longint wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> Ive been working with openvpn verywell with mnay clients, no problem
> until some guy send me an error he gets esporadically.
> Ijust get a screenshot, so i uploaded (its a lausy gif , 10k).
>
> http://www.dejawu.net/untitled.gif
>
> After some days, some other guys started to complain. as all was
> smooth , i did not have the --apend-log feature. (now i have).
>
> i had to restart the daemon , and everithing was back to normality.
>
> my server conf: http://www.dejawu.net/vpn.html
> my client conf: http://www.dejawu.net/vpn_client.html
>
> well, i guess i have given all the data i could posibly get...
> ill tryto debug more on the client side, the thing is , as this is
> esporadilcally its a bit compilted to get the full logs all the time.

Are you using dev tun or tap?

The error message indicates that the OpenVPN client had a route pushed to
it, but the client doesn't know the IP address to use as a gateway for the
route.

In a tun-based setup, the client should be pushed an "ifconfig" directive,
and the second IP address in the directive would be remembered as the
gateway to use for routes.

In a tap-based setup, the client will get the gateway from the
"route-gateway" directive.

The error you are seeing would occur if a "route"  directive was pushed to
a client but not also an "ifconfig" or "route-gateway" directive.

Not sure why this would be happening, would need to see config files and
log files.

James