Re: [Openvpn-users] Possible to connect to many openvpn servers from one instance?

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] Possible to connect to many openvpn servers from one instance?
  • From: Carl Youngblood <carlwork@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 12:27:24 -0700

Thanks for the response.  Actually I don't need to capture all
outgoing traffic.  My application will know that it needs to use the
various tun adapters' IP addresses to connect to another node.  I just
want to have an easy way of setting up and taking down secure
connections on the fly, and I'm hoping it will be scalable in a way
that won't require a new openvpn daemon for each outgoing client
connection.

On 4/19/05, Didier Conchaudron <didier@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Dear Carl,
>
> I think you're trying to get full mesh networking while openvpn doesn't yet
> support it. Your idea is interesting but the problem is that you must use
> packet forwarding(and probalby other firewall things) on each of your node to
> be able to work like you describe. In fact I'm wondering if this network
> topology is not close to "connect on demand" networking like with old modems
> but now with several.
>
> Btw, I'm very interested in your experiments in this way.
>
> Regards,
>
> Didier
>
> Le Mardi 19 Avril 2005 00:39, Carl Youngblood a écrit:
> > I'm interested in using openvpn to create a secure dynamic network of
> > applications.  Each node in the network will be running an openvpn
> > daemon in server mode so that other nodes can connect to it.  Then I'm
> > wondering if it will be possible to use another openvpn instance for
> > all outgoing client connections, or if I will need to run a separate
> > instance of openvpn for each outgoing connection.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Carl Youngblood

"Nothing will ever be attempted, if all possible objections must first
be overcome."
    - Samuel Johnson