Re: [Openvpn-users] Re: advice on best way to proceed

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] Re: advice on best way to proceed
  • From: Chris Stankaitis <chris@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 13:41:15 -0400

Charles Duffy wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 15:45:36 -0400, Chris Stankaitis wrote:
>

>>Is it possible to configure openvpn into a point-to-point configurations
>>rather then the typical "road-warrior" style config that the Doc's and
>>HOWTO's reference.  I need to take about 30 boxes and encrypt all the
>>traffic between them and wish to use openvpn.
>

> There's no support for mesh networking presently, so you're pretty much
> stuck with having everything go through a designated server. There's been
> plenty of discussion on the subject though; feel free to read the archives.

Would I be able to get away with running an openvpn server on each of
the 30 servers, so they are all listening, as well as run a second
process of openvpn in client mode on each server then add routes so that
traffic destined for any of the 30 nodes would go through the openvpn
client.

I know it would be a bit of a kludge solution but *can* it work...

The VPN would not have to give out new IP's forward and routes etc..
just allow encrypted traffic to go from box to box.

Thanks.

--Chris