RE: [Openvpn-users] Changing the server's IP address

  • Subject: RE: [Openvpn-users] Changing the server's IP address
  • From: "Alex Kitaen" <akitaen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 22:37:43 +0000

Hi Joe,

There's always the chance that I misunderstand the question or that I'm just wrong :) but I'll answer based on my experience with openvpn 1.6:

Is there a way to change the default IP address so that it does not end with .1?

the "--local" setting tells openvpn which interface to bind to, otherwise it listens on its port on all interfaces. The server doesn't have an IP, but you presumbly set the IP's of the interfaces it uses with something like ifconfig.

For instance, I want to use 10.17.26.0/23 as my VPN subnet, but 10.17.26.1 is a router.

A tunnel is just a point to point interface with a single address on each end. These addresses may be within subnets as specified by your routing tables, but AFAIK openvpn doesn't know about subnets (or need to).

Is there a variable I can add to server.conf that will allow me to specify that the VPN server runs at 10.17.26.2?

By default it listens on its port on all your interfaces, with whatever IP's were ifconfig'ed.

I feel like I probably answered a different question than you asked, but I tried anyway!

cheers,
Alex