[Openvpn-users] Win2K and Bridging

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] Win2K and Bridging
  • From: "John E. Peterson" <john.peterson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 15:28:13 -0400

Well, I guess I have to upgrade my domain controller if I want to use VPN w/ server-bridge, huh?

I know the articles mention WinXP, does Window 2003 Server allow bridged connections?

And here's an off the wall question.

What if I have a domain on 192.168.20.xxx. And I have some reserved addresses (not DHCP'd) that are say from 200 - 220. Why couldn't I use OpenVPN with the OpenVPN server running 192.168.20.200 and serve addresses from 192.168.20.201 - 216? My SERVER now has two different addresses, but on the same block. And my external clients would get standard network addresses. Wouldn't that work? Or am I crazy (a definite possibility)? There wouldn't be any IP address conflicts.

I have OpenVPN running on my domain controller (WinServer2K). Would I be better off using a cheap klunker box with XP on it for OpenVPN only and doing regular bridging? I have it running on the domain controller so that when clients log in they SEE the domain controller! (and it works pretty darn good!).

John E. Peterson
Omni-Tech Corporation
Fenton, MI  48430
(810) 750-6474