Re: [Openvpn-users] Bandwith usage

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] Bandwith usage
  • From: "Patrick Marquetecken" <patrick.marquetecken@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 10:18:36 +0200 (CEST)

> On Wednesday 30 March 2005 10:00, Patrick Marquetecken wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have setup a test lan to see if openvpn is a good solution for us.
>> I dit tranfers and stress test with and without openvpn.
>> Without openvpn we can use the compleet 100mbit bandwith, but with
>> openvpn it goes to a max of 60%, i supose its because of the
>> compression. Is there a way to use the other 40% of our 100bmit
>> connection, i find it a bit waste not to use it, or will heavy usage
>> on the tunnel enlarge the bandwith usage ?
>
> Without knowing exactly how you performed the test, it's tough to
> understand why you are experiencing this discrepancy.
>
> A pretty simple (albeit not very realistic for production environments)
> test would be to transfer a large (say 500MB) file via FTP or HTTP,
> once outside the tunnel and once through the OpenVPN tunnel.
>
> In case you do see significant differences in transfer rates, you should
> then monitor the machines that act as VPN gateways - perhaps they are
> not powerful enough to handle the load. Although I must say that I
> haven't experienced any slowdowns through tunnels implemented with
> <300MHz x86 machines.
>
> -A
I have used a program called LanTrafic witch creates trafic in all kind
block sizes and file sizes.
We have done a test with 16 simultane (the max of the program) connections
and moved about 100GB of data.
So we saw the bandwith usage is max 50% - 60% of a 100mbit connection
between two machines with a direct cable.
The machine is a pentium4 3GB ram, dual proc and dual GBit ethernet
connecto tors the same machine.

The setup is a site to site vpn connection.
The idea is to create loadbalancing between the two proc's by using two
tunnels to the same endpoint, and to use the bandwith beter.

If this ieda is compleet wrong please let me know, it my first attempt
with openvpn so my knowlegde is not so good at this time.

Again waiting for answers of experience users.

TIA
Patrick