Re: [Openvpn-users] Bandwith usage

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] Bandwith usage
  • From: Alexandros Papadopoulos <alex@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 11:23:21 +0300

On Wednesday 30 March 2005 10:00, Patrick Marquetecken wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have setup a test lan to see if openvpn is a good solution for us.
> I dit tranfers and stress test with and without openvpn.
> Without openvpn we can use the compleet 100mbit bandwith, but with
> openvpn it goes to a max of 60%, i supose its because of the
> compression. Is there a way to use the other 40% of our 100bmit
> connection, i find it a bit waste not to use it, or will heavy usage
> on the tunnel enlarge the bandwith usage ?

Without knowing exactly how you performed the test, it's tough to
understand why you are experiencing this discrepancy.

A pretty simple (albeit not very realistic for production environments)
test would be to transfer a large (say 500MB) file via FTP or HTTP,
once outside the tunnel and once through the OpenVPN tunnel.

In case you do see significant differences in transfer rates, you should
then monitor the machines that act as VPN gateways - perhaps they are
not powerful enough to handle the load. Although I must say that I
haven't experienced any slowdowns through tunnels implemented with
<300MHz x86 machines.

-A