Re: [Openvpn-users] Extra latency and timeouts.

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] Extra latency and timeouts.
  • From: Leonard Isham <leonard.isham@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 00:26:16 -0500

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 16:55:37 +0000 (UTC), andrew <ardii@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I have got our first intraoffice VPN up and running using OpenVPN but am getting
> serious lag/latency. The connection is from Sweden (where I am now) to our head
> office in Australia. If I do a normal ping to one of the head office servers,
> the average ping is about 350ms. Pretty terrible and I am looking at ways to
> improve that with the ISP. Anyway, what is of even more concern is the ping when
> I target something that goes through the VPN. Teh average is about 450ms with
> fairly constant spikes up to 800ms and even up to 1100ms!

[snip]
> If I ssh into the VPN server, I can see the load is 0.00 and I can ping all the
> local servers in the head office from that box at standard LAN speeds (about
> 0.1ms - 0.2ms).
>
> Any pointers on where to look for a slow down?

[snip]

1. Do a traceroute to both the External and internal IP addresses and
confirm that the initial path is identical.

2. Perform a tracrroute from the OpenVPN server to the external IP
address and look for differences in the original traceroute.

3. Ping each hop as seen from the connection to the internal IP
address.  Where do the delays start?

--
Leonard Isham, CISSP
Ostendo non ostento.