RE: [Openvpn-users] Routing problems?

  • Subject: RE: [Openvpn-users] Routing problems?
  • From: Brian Leyton <bleyton@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 14:08:58 -0800

Leonard Isham wrote:
> > Looks like it picked up some routes for the 10.8.0.0 network.  Why
> > would it have separate entries for 4 different IP addresses on that
network?

> Are you using RIP, OSPF or any other dynamic routing protocols?

I didn't think so.  Routed on this system supports RIP, but I don't see
routed running.  But I can't come up with any other explanation for those
routes...

> > I wonder if I should get rid of those PPP adapters that I set up ages
> > ago to try to use for remote access...
> >

> I would.

Done.  They're gone now.  No difference in the pinging.

> > > Can you "swap out" the firewall for an iptables firewall that only
> > > allows OpenVPN for testing and move back to your original firewall?
> >
> > Not sure what you mean by this - get rid of IPCop for something else?
> > I'd rather not do that if possible.  BTW, IPCop has been IPTables
> > based since version 1.3 - I'm on 1.4.2.
>
> I mean remove it from the equation use IP tables on a spare
> system or just use it on the OpenVPN server in place of your
> real firewall for a test.  I don't know if that is an option for you.

Well, this firewall is in production use, supporting about 35 people, with a
bunch of port-forwarding rules & other stuff, so I'd rather not mess with it
if I can help it.

> P.S. You missed the list on this e-mail.

Drat!  I keep trying to remember to change that, but it slipped past me that
time.  Most of the mailing lists I'm on default back to the list address as
the Reply-to:.

I'm going to set up tcpdumps as mentioned in your other message which I just
received.  Then I'll try some pings back & forth & see what I can see.
Please let me know if there is anything else I should try.

Thanks for all of your help!

Brian Leyton
IT Manager
Commercial Petroleum Equipment