Re: [Openvpn-users] OpenVPN 2.0 Final, Branching, and Updates

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] OpenVPN 2.0 Final, Branching, and Updates
  • From: Jan van Rensburg <jan.van.rensburg@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 22:10:43 +0200

Hi,

Some more updates on the Mac problems.

I've made tcpdump logs of the traffic between mail client and the server when working via the linux and mac OpenVPN clients. They can be downloaded at:
http://xen.epiuse.com/openvpn/tcpdump_log_mac.txt.gz
http://xen.epiuse.com/openvpn/tcpdump_log_linux.txt.gz

You say that you see this problem when running a multithreaded email
client over the tunnel. Can you reproduce with other application traffic
scenarios, such as by running two simultaneous FTP sessions over the
tunnel? If so, can you set up a test where a single FTP session works
correctly, but attempting a second simultaneous FTP connection fails?

I opened 25 chargen sessions to another server on the same LAN, but it kept on connecting fine. I expected it to fail after about the 10th session, but no. Some of the sessions did start getting a bit slow, but data did come through.

Have you tried to query the author of the Mac TUN/TAP driver to get his
intuition on whether this might be a TUN/TAP driver bug, or a bug in
userspace openvpn, or a configuration issue?

I've email Mattias, who also asked for tcpdump logs, but said "I really have no idea what in the driver could cause that multiple connection problem you describe. The driver only deals with the IP layer and below, so it really doesn't know about connections..."

Jan