Re: [Openvpn-users] RE: OpenVPN 2.0RC16 Inactivity Timeout Problem

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] RE: OpenVPN 2.0RC16 Inactivity Timeout Problem
  • From: Zhen Xu <zhenxu_zj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 15:31:34 -0800 (PST)

Well, I am on a static IP with always on Internet connectivity. If it is a TLS cert re-negociate, this should not boot the connection and do another reconnect. I did a tcpdump on the ethernet interface to sniff traffic on UDP 1194 and I have found that some kind of ping-pong traffic is back and forth between the client and server at the predefined inteval. However, the real tunnel does seem to be dead until the next connect reset.

zxu

Kevin Light <klight@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I am having some strange problems with inactivity timeout running
OpenVPN 2.0rc16 on both
end in client/server mode.

The connection will be dropped and restarted every 10 minutes or so due
to the "inactivity
timeout". The log will show the following:

I'm seeing the same timeout/re-connects and I just assumed that this was
the certificate/connection resetting.

The problem that I have is that my client is behind a dial-up and after
the dial-up connection goes down, so does the OpenVPN client daemon. I
typically see 4 SIGUSR1's, 60 seconds apart, followed by a SIGTERM at
which point the daemon exits.

OpenVPN 2.0_rc16 on both ends. Client is a Mandrake 9.0, server is
Fedora Core 3 on a static IP. The client has resolv-retry at infinite
with persist-key and persist-tun active. The server has k eepalive 10
120 and I see it get pushed to the client.

I've searched through the parameters in the man pages for some setting
that would cause the daemon to die after 5 connect failures but have not
been able to find any relevant settings. I noticed on the list that
there were some ping-restart usage clarification at version rc13, but
again no mention of a maximum retry failure. What have I missed?

Thanks
Kevin