[Openvpn-users] Shared keys vs. certificates performances (a.k.a "the need for speed")

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] Shared keys vs. certificates performances (a.k.a "the need for speed")
  • From: Fabio Spelta <spelta@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 14:32:08 +0100

I searched for this, but almost in vain. So I ask here to have a certainty.

I'm wondering if usage of certificates can result in a better (or worse)
performance of the OpenVPN tunnels.
Apart from others advantages/disadvantages of the two approaches, the
speed of the resulting link is equal with both approaches? Or there are
some significant difference?
I think that this can be a nice info to add to the FAQ, or somewhere
else in the doc (also if there is no significant difference in speed
between the two approaches, it's nice to know that).

I'm looking for the best combo of settings for the only matter of speed
(still being secure, I mean, no cleartext tunnel).

Thank you very much!

Fabio Spelta