Re: [Openvpn-users] UDP or TCP?

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] UDP or TCP?
  • From: Jamie Lokier <jamie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 20:04:55 +0000

Rainer Sokoll wrote:
> Does it matter whether one chooses UDP or TCP? I would think that if the
> connection is reliable, UDP may perform a little bit better while TCP is
> more robust on weak connections?

It is almost always better to choose UDP.

That's because you'll be tunnelling application TCP _over_ OpenVPN's
UDP or TCP.  And TCP over TCP does not perform very well (except in
some very special circumstances) due to the interaction between two
levels of timeout estimation and retransmission algorithms.

-- Jamie