[Openvpn-users] Re: For 3 LANs is required one more udp port and another one config file?

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] Re: For 3 LANs is required one more udp port and another one config file?
  • From: Charles Duffy <cduffy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2005 17:48:33 -0600

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 00:58:44 +0200, Alex Post wrote:

> My question is: can i use the same ovpn.conf file and only one 1194/udp
> port on server? Reading documentation seems to be possible using ccd
> directory. Practically not! Using ccd, you can assign address to clients,
> but how remain with server addresses (because shoud be in pairs and
> another tun interface is required)? Shortly, on server is defined:

Why would the server need a second tun device?

In server mode, a single tun device is used to connect to any number of
clients (using, as you say, a client-config dir). Although it's in theory
a point-to-point interface, it's nonetheless capable in practice of
communicating with multiple clients having different addresses within the
VPN.

I, and a great many other people, are using multi-client server mode in
practice. Consequently, I'm on extremely safe ground to describe it as
possible and indeed practical.