Re: [Openvpn-users] Building OpenVPN in MinGW

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] Building OpenVPN in MinGW
  • From: James Yonan <jim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 11:26:02 -0700 (MST)

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005, Mathias Sundman wrote:

> While builing OpenVPN on Windows, many people have problems with building
> OpenSSL, including me the first time. Therefor I attempted to use the
> binary distribuition of OpenSSL so I could put together a more easy to
> follow instuction on how to build OpenVPN and OpenVPN GUI.
>
> By default the binary distribution of OpenSSL installs itself in
> c:\OpenSSL with the libraries (.a files) in c:\OpenSSL\lib\minGW.
>
> So in OpenVPN's makefile.w32 I had to change
>
> OPENSSL = /c/src/openssl-0.9.7e
> LIB_DIRS = -L${OPENSSL}/out -L${LZO}

> OPENSSL = /c/OpenSSL
> LIB_DIRS = -L${OPENSSL}/lib/MinGW -L${LZO}
>
> Even after these changes I got the following compile error:
>
> c:\MinGW\bin\..\lib\gcc\mingw32\3.4.2\..\..\..\..\mingw32\bin\ld.exe:
> cannot find -lssl32
>
> To get around this problem, I renamed ssleay32.a to libssl32.a. Then it
> found the library.
>
> Q1: Why did I have to rename ssleay32.a? It doesn't seem like the "right"
> way to solve the problem.
>

> Then the linking failed because it couldn't find the lzo library.
>
> I changed
> LZO = /c/src/lzo-1.08
> LZO = ../lzo-1.08
>
> which was the correct path in my installation, but I found that the libs
> were created in the src/.libs dir, so I changed
>
> LIB_DIRS = -L${OPENSSL}/lib/MinGW -L${LZO}
> LIB_DIRS = -L${OPENSSL}/lib/MinGW -L${LZO}/src/.libs
>
> and openvpn.exe could finaly be built.
>
> Q2: Did I do anything wrong while building LZO, or why did I have to
> change the path to the lzo library in LIB_DIRS?
>
> James, what do you think about changing makefile.w32 to match a default
> installtion of the binary OpenSSL distribution instead of the source
> distribuition? I think very few windows users have any use for the OpenSSL
> source, so they could avoid going through the trouble with building
> OpenSSL just to build OpenVPN.

Are you using this page to get the binary distro? :

http://www.openssl.org/related/binaries.html

The problem I have with this is that it's a third party providing the
build, not the OpenSSL project itself.  I would rather build OpenVPN from
official OpenSSL sources.  I agree that it makes the build process more
complex, but then this should not be an issue except for developers.

James