Re: [Openvpn-users] RE: Scalability?

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] RE: Scalability?
  • From: Eugen Leitl <eugen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 19:21:28 +0100

On Wed, Mar 02, 2005 at 12:09:05PM -0500, Andreas Iwanowski wrote:
> I was not awar of that.
>
> Maybe a PCI-X 64 bit card?

Maybe a CPU which has native crypto support. 2.6.11 is out today, and
contains Padlock support
http://lists.logix.cz/pipermail/padlock/2005/000017.html

http://www.logix.cz/michal/devel/padlock/bench.xp

Then C5J (due this year) will have better crypto support still:

http://www.iapplianceweb.com/story/OEG20040520I0001BC.htm

First Look: Via.s C5J X86 Esther core takes on home network security

By Bernard Cole
iApplianceWeb
(05/20/04, 06:46:52 AM PT)

San Jose, Ca. . At the Embedded Processor Forum here VIA Technologies, Inc.,
took the wraps off its. C5J .Esther. X86 core which takes on-chip hardware
security and e-commerce transaction protection about as far as it can go.

It is targeted at small, mobile consumer electronics devices and notebook PCs
that will populate the new wirelessly and Internet-connected "digital home,"
a concept that has become the mantra of many in the PC and CE markets,
including Intel, Motorola, ARM, Sony, Toshiba and others.

Fabricated with IBM.s advanced 90nm SOI process, engineers at Via's Centaur
subsidiary have taken advantage of the additional logic density to build a
secure processor that targets smart digital devices. It takes the company a
giant step forward in its effort to extend the  reach of x86 architecture
further into the consumer electronics, embedded and mobile fields than
current processor performance and thermal limitations allow.

"It's great to see a CPU vendor provide hardware support for the most
important needs of crypto," said Phil Zimmermann, creator of PGP 1.0. "It's
always been hard to find a good entropy source for random number generation
on an unmanned server, a fast AES implementation for on-the-fly disk
encryption, and hardware support for fast public key operations for a server
to handle a high traffic workload from remote users. I wish all CPU vendors
would do this."

A fanless, secure X86 CPU core

According to Glenn Henry, president of Via.s Centaur Technology subsidiary,
the new core provides a significant boost in processor speed within the same
thermal bracket as current VIA processors, and reducing maximum power
consumption to a mere 3.5W at 1GHz. He presented details on the new core at
the EPF here.

Designed to be coupled with a range of feature rich chipsets from VIA, he
said the C5J Esther core will be pivotal in moving its X86-derived cores into
the heart of many small footprint consumer and wireless device applications
that require high compression video streaming and data encryption/decryption,
from miniature, fanless devices.

Other than competitors such as Transmeta Corp., most players in these new
connected computing segments in consumer electronics and mobile iA
applications . including Intel Corp. . have abandoned the original x86
architecture and opted for alternatives such as ARM and MIPS to go after many
of these new connected computing applications.

"Our approach to processor design was to allow small, fanless devices to
carry out the most demanding security operations while simultaneously
processing today's increasingly sophisticated digital entertainment
applications," said Henry." The new architecture of the C5J Esther core will
allow us to ramp up processor speeds to 2GHz and above within the same
thermal design points as previous cores, opening up new markets for our
processors and extending the reach of the x86 architecture into new device
categories."

Because the importance of security and content protection is taking on
greater importance in many consumer entertainment and mobile appliance device
markets as technologies such as WiFi and WLAN take hold, the company has
focused a substantial amount of silicon area to implementing as much hardware
protection as is possible.

Henry said the C5J Esther core extends the VIA PadLock Hardware Security
Suite to include execution (NX) protection, Montgomery Multiplier support for
RSA encryption and secure Hash (SHA-1 and SHA-256) algorithms in addition to
the VIA PadLock RNG and VIA PadLock ACE that are featured in the current VIA
C5P Nehemiah processor core. These hardware-based building blocks, he said,
carry out operations within security programs and help to improve overall
system performance.

Execution Protection and RSA Crypto

One of the things company engineers focused attention on was Execution (NX)
protection, because it prevents malicious code associated with worms or
viruses from executing and propagating from memory. Execution (NX) protection
is an important new hardware-based feature that will be supported in the
Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2.

.The VIA C5J Esther core's NX feature marks memory with an attribute that
indicates that code should not be executed from that memory,. said Henry,
.helping to prevent damage or propagation of malicious code within x86
devices..

Because it is one of the most widely used public key cryptography systems
around, he said company engineers also focused on efficient ways to either
implement the RSA algorithm in hardware, or enhancing its performance when
done in software.

.The major challenge facing public-key cryptography is that it requires large
amounts of processing power,. said Henry,. posing a critical problem for low
power consumer electronics and embedded devices that cannot afford to halt in
the middle of a video stream or transaction while it does the heavy lifting
required by security programs..

To deal with such issues, he said, in the C5J Esther core, company engineers
included a dedicated x86 instruction that performs Montgomery Multiplication,
an operation used to speed-up RSA cryptography, reducing the workload on the
processor and helping to improve overall system performance during e-commerce
transactions.

Secure Hash Algorithms play a big role in cryptography to provide digital
signatures that enable the recipient to verify the authenticity of the origin
of the message. So, the C5P core developers, he said, incorporated two Secure
Hash functions (SHA-1 and SHA-256) that assist in the creation and
verification of digital signatures through algorithms that are embedded in
the processor die.

According to Peter Gutmann of the University of Aukland, and author of
'CryptoLib,' the inclusion of hardware acceleration for SHA-1 hashing and
large-integer operations for public-key cryptography is an effective way to
implement security protocols such as IPsec, SSL/TLS, and SSH, since they
eliminate the often heavy CPU overhead normally imposed by the crypto
portions of these protocols.

"This removes the need to use the expensive external crypto-processors that
are often required to achieve acceptable performance under load," he said.

Henry said IBM.s 90 nm process was chosen to implement the new design because
it includes such advanced features such as copper interconnects,
silicon-on-insulator (SOI) and and low-k dielectric insulation. Via/Centaur
felt these features were key to reducing power consumption to within the same
thermal envelope as their current CPUs, but at the same time allow processor
speeds of 2GHz and beyond.

.IBM's 90nm manufacturing process provides greater scope for power saving and
performance enhancements by decreasing the internal distances traveled by
electronic signals within the processor,. said Henry. The low-k dielectric
technique, introduced by IBM, delivers boosts in computing speed and
performance of up to a 30 percent. Added to this, he said, was IBM's SOI CMOS
process which limits transistor leakage, further increasing performance by an
estimated 20-35% while reducing power consumption.

For more information on the new core go to www.via.com.tw.

--
Eugen* Leitl <a href="http://leitl.org";>leitl</a>