Re: [Openvpn-users] Re: Mac's for the devs / doc writers

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] Re: Mac's for the devs / doc writers
  • From: "Terry L. Inzauro" <toor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 08:36:24 -0600

Charles Duffy wrote:
On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 01:33:32 -0600, Terry L. Inzauro wrote:

ok ok. for the purpose of rebooting and such, you'll have root, so..........

Speaking from experience, remote root isn't nearly good enough when doing
driver development without (1) a network power supply and (2) a serial
console running to a separate box. Otherwise, you're screwed when the
system hardlocks or you need to adjust some settings (or, in the case of
MacOS, reboot and hold down some special keys as the system comes back
online). Worse, when you're dealing with networking software, you can also
make a goof that screws the routing table... and whoops, no more remote
access!

Since (1) is expensive and (2) isn't something I think Macs support,
James's requirement of physical access to the hardware makes a great deal
of sense.

good point. I just thought I would offer an alternative.

_Terry