Re: Re[2]: [Openvpn-users] packet loss

  • Subject: Re: Re[2]: [Openvpn-users] packet loss
  • From: Leonard Isham <leonard.isham@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 07:00:13 -0500

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 10:28:35 +0100, Kun Richárd <kun@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Thursday, February 24, 2005, 2:02:01 AM, you wrote:
>
> > 100 is still a small packet the encapsulation isn't going over 1200,
> > but you might have an extreemly small MTU in a route that some of the
> > packets take.
> The connection is a symmetric micro link, and the route is only 4
> hops. I think, the MTU is normal of all of the devices.
>
> > You might want to up the verb level to 4, but I think you have a
> > congestion problem somewhere in your link.  What happens when you send
> > large packets outside of the tunnel?
> Outside of the tunnel the connection works perfectly, there is not
> packet loss.
>
> All other advice welcomed.

Please don't just reply to me only unless asked to.  You lose the
chance that someone else can help you.

What is a symmetric micro link?

What did you get setting the verb to 4?

What else are the machines running?  How stressed is the CPU:? Are you
bypassing either of the OpenVPN  systems when you ping  outside the
tunnel?

Have you tried tcpdump/ethereal/snoop to check for the packets on either side?

Is your provider doing any type of QoS?  Maybe UDP us given a low priority.

--
Leonard Isham, CISSP
Ostendo non ostento.