Re: [Openvpn-users] Problems with Bridging

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] Problems with Bridging
  • From: Mathias Sundman <mathias@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 20:56:49 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005, Rupert Heesom wrote:

I'm trying to setup up OpenVPN to do bridging so that my Road Warriors
connecting in can be on the same subnet and do windows browsing more
easily.

So far I've managed to configure Openvpn correctly I think.  My test
road warrior laptop connects fine to the VPN, fine enough to get its IP
address/WINS server IP etc.

However neither the VPN server or the laptop can ping each other (or
connect via VNC).

/etc/openvpn/server.conf
local 10.0.0.110
port 1194
proto udp
dev tap

You should use "dev tap0" as you have already created a tap device. I'm not sure, but I think OpenVPN will create a new tap interface (tap1) dynamically for you otherwise and use that instead.

I'm finding that in the openvpn-status.log file, when using tun mode,
the allocated IP to incoming connections is shown, when using tap mode
only the MAC address of incoming vpn connections is given.  Is this a
feature or indication of a problem?

That's a feature! If you use --status-version 2 you will get the IP address in the status file in tap mode as well.

If the "dev tap0" change is not enough, use tcpdump to see if you can see the packets on tap0 and eth0. Try to temporarly disable all iptables rules to make sure it's not a firewall problem.