[Openvpn-users] Higher verbose level --> slower tunnel?

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] Higher verbose level --> slower tunnel?
  • From: Bram <openvpn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 17:26:14 +0100

Hello,

I've looked in the archives of this mailling list (I searched and I looked at
all subject of the past 7 months), but I could not find a problem similar to
mine...

What I noticed is that if I use 'verbose 9' in the server configuration, then
the tunnel has a speed of +/- 50 kb/s, when I put verbose at 3, it has a speed
of +/- 3 Mb / s.

I'm sure that this can not be caused by the network, since I'm currently running
openvpn at a lan... (The goal however is to run it on the internet, via an
https-proxy.)

I'm using OpenVPN 2.0_rc6 and tested it with the udp protocol, the udp protocol
and client/server, and tcp. (I checked the Changelog if something similar like
this was mentioned...)

The tunnel itselfs works fine, the only problem I'm having is that if I increase
the verbose level the speed of the tunnel decreases... Is this supposed to
happen?

The server is a Redhat Enterprise Linux , and the client is running Debian.

My configuration files:
server.conf:

dev tun
ifconfig 10.100.1.1 10.100.1.2