[Openvpn-users] Re: Running a batch file after openvpn lounch

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] Re: Running a batch file after openvpn lounch
  • From: Charles Duffy <cduffy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 14:59:37 -0600

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 20:42:17 +0000, Ian Clancy wrote:

> I would like to be able to run a batch script to map a number of samba
> shares on the users computer when the user starts openvpn gui from the
> taskbar. This batch file contains the usual 'net use \\server\share'
> commands

I'm not handy enough with win32 to give you an exact solution -- but more
generally:

The VPN isn't passing packets while it's executing scripts, Consequently,
instead of having your scripts do a "net use" in the foreground, you need
to trigger a detached background process that does the appropriate thing.

If 'yall Windows types have an equivalent to "nohup ./background_this &",
that (or dropping an item into a job scheduling queue, or starting a
service that does nothing but set up the maps, or something else along
those lines) would be an appropriate solution.

See the thread entitled "Tunnel Traffic not passing during route-up script
execution" in the mailing list archives. I think there's also been a
discussion of Mathias adding an option to the OpenVPN GUI for having -it-
invoke a script after OpenVPN has connected.