[Openvpn-users] question on routing

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] question on routing
  • From: Michael Perry <meperry@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 16:53:47 -0800

I setup a pretty simple static key vpn server that has a linux laptop
connecting to it.  I'm running a home network behind a linksys WRT54G
with the required port open for tcp and udp traffic.  I can connect
just fine and after doing a route add on the laptop, I can see the vpn
server's real IP address at 192.1681.5.  The virtual IPs are:

vpn endpoints IP addresses
------------------------------------
server: 192.168.2.5
client: 192.168.2.50

real IP addresses
--------------------------------
server: 192.168.1.5 (also vpn server)
debian desktop 192.168.1.2
router (wrt): 192.168.1.1)
printer: 192.168.1.100

I took the example pretty much straight from the examples page for the
setup.  Next I added an ip route which does this on the laptop:

route add -net 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 gw 192.168.2.5

My hope is to be able to see the rest of my home network which resides
off the 192.168.1.x network but all I can ever see is the vpn server.
The laptop connects just fine and when I add the route, it sees the
real IP address for the vpn server on the 192.168.1.x network.  I have
echoed 1 to /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward on both systems as well.

What's the step I am missing to get the other systems including a
printer at 192.168.1.100 able to be reached?  As I mentioned, the vpn
connection works really well and I am very happy with the ease in
setting things up.

Thanks for any pointers.
--
Michael Perry