[Openvpn-users] Inactivity timeout

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] Inactivity timeout
  • From: Nate Kroll <krolln@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 23:38:50 -0600

Users have stated that they will expereince some time periods where they are not able to do anything with the VPN connection. The clients are Windows XP and Server 2003 mostly. A user stated that the network device still stated that the tunnel was connected, but it didn't seem to pass any traffic. Unfortunately, the user wasn't able to provide me with a routing table or any other helpful info. I looked into the logs when people say they have problms, but there is nothing unusual.

I did notice this often:
Mon Jan 24 15:08:03 2005 User/xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:1040 [User] Inactivity timeout (--ping-restart), restarting

I'm wondering if for some reason this may be causing any problems. Does this simply mean that that client hasn't been doing anything, so the server disconnects them? Is there a simple way to make the tunnel always there? Soem of the clients are servers and they should be connected always. I looked at the man page but I'm confused about how to configure the server and if I need to touch the client configs.

Thanks for all the help,

Nate Kroll