Re: [Openvpn-users] path-mtu 1460 : message too long

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] path-mtu 1460 : message too long
  • From: James Yonan <jim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2005 13:33:11 -0700 (MST)

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005, richard wrote:

> aah, thanks a lot, that works well
>
> but why is it necessary? that worked well before until last week.

Here's a metaphor.  Suppose you are driving a truck (lorry) across your
country and it's 5 metres tall.  Now a natural disaster occurs and the
roads which you usually drive on are closed, forcing you to detour onto
smaller roads which have lower bridges and tunnels.  Maybe some of the
tunnels give you less than 5 metres of safe clearance!

In this metaphor each internet router is like a bridge or tunnel which
constrains the height of your vehicle, i.e. the packet size.

Using an mssfix value of 1200 is sort of like using a truck that's only 4
metres tall instead of 5.  You can't carry as much payload, so it's less
efficient, but at least you know that you will get through.

James