[Openvpn-users] Heavy packet loss with high traffic

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] Heavy packet loss with high traffic
  • From: Eric Hokanson <hokanson@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 00:45:25 -0700

I have a WinXP box at home running OpenVPN 2.0rc4 which is connect to
a high speed university network.  This network blocks all udp packets
and most tcp ports.

At my work place across town, I have a Linux box also running OpenVPN
2.0rc4.  It is connected directly to the Internet with a high speed
connection.

I have a tcp tunnel between the two machines with all my home traffic
being sent through to my work machine.  This way I was hoping I could
play games and stream video, etc.  When the connection isn't stressed
it appears to work great and a ping from my home machine to a reliable
site produces hundreds of pings with a 0% packet loss.  When I start
to send a high volume of packets through, such as an online game or
video stream, the first 5 seconds or so work great then I suddenly
start to get massive packet loss.  I've tried disabling encryption,
authentication, and compression with no change.  I've also tried
lowering my sndbuf size to reduce latency with no change.  I see no
obvious problems in the log window.  Below is part of my WinXP
configuration in case you spot anything abnormal.  Anybody know how to
fix this problem?

proto tcp-client
dev tun
sndbuf 8192