[Openvpn-users] Re: Potential problems with overlapping networks ?

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] Re: Potential problems with overlapping networks ?
  • From: Charles Duffy <cduffy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2004 12:53:16 -0600

Michael, you were discussing bridged mode in your question; he's using
routed mode. They're thus quite different questions.

---

I think it's possible, but the details depend on how your OS does
routing.

The easiest approach (which I haven't tested) is to clear your routing
table, put yourself on a /32 subnet, configure host routes for your local
gateway and your remote VPN server (the former explicitly specifying the
interface to go through, because being on a /32 it won't be able to figure
that out on its own), and put the default gateway through the VPN.

You'll be unable to get to your local network except the gateway and
yourself, and any connections to the outside world will likewise be routed
through the VPN (redirect-gateway style). Likewise, you'll be unable to
get to the remote machine with the same address as your local gateway, or
the one with the same address as yourself.

Have I missed anything here?