Re: [Openvpn-users] Re: OpenVPN-GUI for Mac OS X Beta-Release

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] Re: OpenVPN-GUI for Mac OS X Beta-Release
  • From: Mathias Sundman <mathias@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 10:57:16 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004, Angelo Laub wrote:

Hello JP,

thank you for testing the GUI. This kind of feedback is really important to me, because the GUI already works for me; now I want to make sure it works for anybody else :-)

Nice to see you have the same problems I've gone through with the Windows GUI :-)

I am using Openvpn 1.6 and switched to tap tunnels when the new tap
device was made available to mac clients.
As far as I know, you need the same version of openvpn on the server and client side. The Mac GUI comes with the latest version of openvpn 2. Do you think I would need to do 2 flavours of the GUI, one with 1.6 and one with 2.0?
Or perhaps I should deliver both versions with the GUI and make a preferences panel to choose one.

I first only supported 2.0, then I build a seperate version supporting 1.6, but then it just bacame a hazzle to maintain two versions, so now I have only one version that checks what version or OpenVPN is installed at startup.

I do this simply by running openvpn --version and parse the version string.

A- When ovpn gui starts, it asks for a passphrase: I don't know what to
do with it. I guess this is an OpenVPN 2 thing ?
Actually it is for tls certificates with passphrase, which I thought were the most common. You have to know that we designed this GUI with a certain application in mind: the secure wlan at a local university. There we use such certificates with passphrase. Now we need to generalize the GUI, so that it can also work with certificates without passphrase.
This will be implemented in the next release, which will take place in approximately two weeks.

The spinning wheel seemingly goes on forever and the app does not take focus so the only way I could stop it was through a kill in a term.
That's because openvpn is waiting for a passphrase and the GUI is waiting with it. This will be fixed, when we also support certificates without passphrase.

Been there, done that ;-)

The current version of OpenVPN GUI for Windows parses the log output from OpenVPN to detect if a private key passphrase is needed, and if so, it's prompted for, and supplied to OpenVPN via stdin.

But.. Next beta release (beta18) of OpenVPN 2.0 will have a management interface that can be used to check the connection status, and supply passwords.

I'll begin the work on OpenVPN GUI for Windows 2.0 this weekend to support this management interface instead of parsing the log output.

So that's my recommendenation for you to use as well. There's a chance though that the management interface is not yet ready for use on mac. James will have to comment on that.