Re: [Openvpn-users] Hardware Crypto and LZO offloading and a few other misc questions...

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] Hardware Crypto and LZO offloading and a few other misc questions...
  • From: Didier Conchaudron <didier@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 09:07:20 +0100

uml wrote:
I've recently installed a Soekris engineering 1401 HIFN7955-based hardware
crypto card for use with OpenVPN.  Has anyone successfully gotten the LZO
compression offloaded onto this card as well?  I think it's capable of it,
but I'm unsure of its status.

Of course, I'm not 100% certain that it even has a driver for linux, but
Free/OpenBSD support the HIFN7955 chipset. (hifn0, hifn1, hifn2, et al).

Several weeks ago I discuss the GNU/Linux support problem for hardware crypto cards. This card is supported by a kernel-patch I found but that I lost too. This patch doesn't allow any crypto soft to use it because it's not regular kernel code. Btw, the author had provide a openssl patch to use this particular crypto card winth openssl --engine.

To explain bad hardware crypto support, the author of the patch explained me that there's no linux framework for crypto support, except soft crypto. But *BSD do.

Didier