[Openvpn-users] Hardware Crypto and LZO offloading and a few other misc questions...

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] Hardware Crypto and LZO offloading and a few other misc questions...
  • From: uml <uml@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 12:57:45 -0500

I've recently installed a Soekris engineering 1401 HIFN7955-based hardware
crypto card for use with OpenVPN.  Has anyone successfully gotten the LZO
compression offloaded onto this card as well?  I think it's capable of it,
but I'm unsure of its status.

Of course, I'm not 100% certain that it even has a driver for linux, but
Free/OpenBSD support the HIFN7955 chipset. (hifn0, hifn1, hifn2, et al).

As well, has anyone run multiple cards yet?  I've got quite a few sitting
here that I'm curious if it makes a difference or not on.  My initial
results with openssl speed -evp -elapsed were unimpressive; however, when
running a few scps I noticed a drastic difference in CPU usage of the host!
I only wonder if the LZO might make as much of a difference.

Part 2!
There is a PAM authentication script, done in perl I believe, that comes
with the latest beta version of openvpn (beta17) -- has anyone written an
auth script for use with OpenBSD 3.5/3.6 or have any direction they could
point me so I could write my own?  At the moment, there's no way to really
take advantage of user-based authentication without it to the best of my
knowledge.

Thanks!