[Openvpn-users] CreateFile failed on TAP device, Error: Access is denied.

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] CreateFile failed on TAP device, Error: Access is denied.
  • From: hsangal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 16:50:33 +0530

Title: CreateFile failed on TAP device, Error: Access is denied.

Hi,

I am a new OpenVPN user.  I am getting following error while running the OpenVPN client on a win2k machine.

Fri Nov 19 10:52:17 2004 CreateFile failed on TAP device: \\.\Global\{DE606AFC-6505-4A53-8FBF-1AF99581C5B3}.tap: Access is denied.   (errno=5)

I have done following steps for the same.

1. Installed OpenVPN (win2k Installable) on a win 2k machine with a user having admin rights.

2.  Logged-in to the same machine with a different user having normal rights.

3. Run OpenVPN client.

4. It start working but while creating the instance of the TAP device it flagged the error mentioned above.

(Actually The CreateFile() API is used to get the handle of the TAP adapter but it failed on the non admin machine.)

Would appreciate if you could please suggest something to resolve this error.

Thanks in advance.

Regards
Harsh K. Sangal