Re: [Openvpn-users] Re: I'm about ready to scream...

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] Re: I'm about ready to scream...
  • From: Leonard Isham <leonard.isham@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 22:18:09 -0400

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 20:37:44 -0400, Edward Dam <damed92@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thanks to all who have helped me so far! I'm almost there!
>
> So I can connect and can access any machine on the internal LAN except for
> 1.
>
> Their main server (of course)
>
> I can't ping it, I can't VNC to it, I can't connect to any of the shares.
>
> It's a Linux Redhat 8.0 server.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> I can VNC, map shares etc on their other server (NT) or VNC to any of the
> windows clients or the NT server without issue.
>
> On the server in question there is nothing in the logs to indicate denied
> access attempts or anything of the sort.
>
> >To: openvpn-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> >From: Chester Chee <cchee.mantles21968@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> >Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 00:21:34 -0400
> >Subject: [Openvpn-users] Re: I'm about ready to scream

> >This may help.
> >
> >http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=233080

First are you trying by name or IP address?  It may be either an issue
with name resolution or routing.

For IP/routing issues:

Ping a working system by IP address.
Ping the non-working system by IP address.
tracert/traceroute to the working system by IP address.
tracert/traceroute to the non-working system by IP address. (is there
a difference?)
VNC to a working machine and then use that to VNC into the non-working
system and tracert/traceroute back to the system that is unable to get
to the "non-working system.".

--
Leonard Isham, CISSP
Ostendo non ostento.