[Openvpn-users] Unable to ping accross tunnel

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] Unable to ping accross tunnel
  • From: katsumi liquer <katsumi@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 10:43:54 -0400

Hello all,

I am encountering a strange problem with both OpenVPN 1.6.0 and 2.0
beta 11. I had setup a test environment localally to see if this
configuration would work and I had no problems what so ever, but now
we are trying to make it work over the WAN link and not having much
luck. Basically, the connection says that it is initiated and seem to
connect perfectly, but both sides are unable to ping the address of
the remote VPN adaptor. The configuration file is very simple; here
are the contents of the files:

;side A
remote xxx.xxx.xxx.35

port 5010

dev tun
tun-mtu 1500

dev-node VPN

ifconfig 10.3.0.1 10.3.0.2

secret key.txt
ping 10
comp-lzo
verb 5
mute 10

;side B
remote xxx.xxx.xxx.92

port 5010

dev tun
tun-mtu 1500

dev-node VPN

ifconfig 10.3.0.2 10.3.0.1

secret key.txt
ping 10
comp-lzo
verb 5
mute 10

When either side tries to ping accross the tunnel we just get a lot of
this:  RWRWRWrWrWRWRWRWrWrWrW

but no ping response. Any ideas? BTW, both sides are running the same
versions in both tests.

Thank you very much for any ideas at all!! :)

katsu