Re: [Openvpn-users] Linux 2.6 crash with openvpn

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] Linux 2.6 crash with openvpn
  • From: Torge Szczepanek <openvpn-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2004 16:33:20 +0200

Am Sonntag, den 24.10.2004, 13:47 +0200 schrieb Lukas Kasprowicz:

> I recognized the crash, because there was no more connection possible to the
> host. (no ping) I checked the NUM Lock at the keyboard, but no reaction.
> Hope someone can help.

I would guess that this may be a hardware problem and not a software
problem. OpenVPN is running in userspace and not kernel space. The only
interface between userspace and kernelspace is the tun/tap driver, which
is not causing any problems here on all my OpenVPN hosts I have (running
2.4 and 2.6 kernels).

I would first of all check the hardware of the two machines. Maybe you
can simply exchange harddisks of system A and B and see whether now B
crashes or not. If it is not crashing, then you most probably have a
hardware issue on host A.

You can also add panic=20 as a kernel parameter. This will reboot the
machine after a kernel panic, if this problem really *is* a kernel
problem.

You might also wanna run a memtest on the machines.

Without knowing details about the machines, this quite some guessing
here.

--
Torge Szczepanek <openvpn-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>