Re: [Openvpn-users] connect winxp BUILTIN vpn client to linux, please how?

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] connect winxp BUILTIN vpn client to linux, please how?
  • From: Leonard Isham <leonard.isham@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 05:27:38 -0400

On 22 Oct 2004 07:31:03 -0000, Paul Dansing <dansing@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>  I have been trying like crazy to get this working, and am at wit's end. I
> cannot *believe* that you people could put so much effort into creating
> software such as this, but not cover the MOST BASIC POSSIBLE USAGE which is
> for windows clients to connect to the vpn. How can you not cover this? I
> read *everything* .. 100% of all email archives in users, devel, and
> announce, 100% of the web pages on the openvpn.sourceforge.net website, and
> went and read hundreds of pages from google searches for the answer to this.
>
>  Here is what I have.
>  1> linux server, its fedora core 1, but that shouldn't matter. i can wipe
> it and install anything.
>  2> winxp pro workstation, i need to only use the built in vpn "dial up
> networking" vpn option and nothing else.

While you have been working and researching there is one basic fact
that you are apparently missing.  OpenVPN  compatible with Microsoft
running OpenVPN. It is not compatable with Microsoft's VPN.

>  I have openvpn 1.6 installed 100% successfully on the linux machine, ran
> the loopback tests and they work. I have used the built-in vpn client in
> winxp and it works 100%.
>
>  What i haven't been successful in, is making the two connect!

It's like hooking up a old teletype machine to a phone jack to talk to
someone with a phone. Simply put it won't work.  There are many
different technologies used in VPNs and when the systems are different
that may not work together even if they use the same technology.

>  PLEASE, if anyone can tell me exactly what to run on the linux system, to
> get it to allow my winxp client to connect to vpn, and perform nat, then I
> will not only be eternally grateful, but I WILL PAY CASH for this
> information.

Now this depends on what your goals, requirements and restrictions
are.  You can install OpenVPN on your Windows clients(s) or different
software  on Linux to get it working.  Another point that you may not
be aware of is that there is more than one flavor of ms dial-up
networking.  If you can make a choice I would recommend OpenVPN hands
down.

>  Please contact me dansing@xxxxxxxxxx, or post replies to this list if you
> just want to help and help others. I cannot believe such a simple scenario
> was totally ignored in all your faqs, howto, articles, etc. WTF??
>
>  I am extremely desperate and at wit's end. Do you love microsoft?? huh?
> well if no one helps me, i'm wiping linux and installing a microsoft product
> and just use their vpn. and worse, i won't even pirate it. I'll BUY IT from
> microsoft directly, and also send them a little extra money with a "please
> fck linux for me" note attached. you want that? no?? then please FOR THE
> LOVE OF GOD HELP ME!! PLEASE! WILL PAY CASH!! (wu, egold, mg)
>
>  thank you,
>  dansing@xxxxxxxxxx

Assuming you choose to use OpenVPN.

If the FAQs and documentation are not still not enough there are
plenty of people on this list that use linux as their "core" system
and connect windows clients to them.

What ever you choose you should be aware that if you are not in
control of a firewall or NAT device between the two systems your
attempts may be blocked.  Additionally even if you are in control of a
device doing NAT not all technologies are compatible with NAT.  Worse
yet some NAT implementations don't support all VPNs (this is usually
case where the VPN embeds the original <non-NAT> IP address in the
data portion of the packet)

--
Leonard Isham, CISSP
Ostendo non ostento.